In Trinidad and Tobago, homemade Sponge Cake is a common tradition in the making and can be served at any time especially around Birthdays and Christmas. Here is a tried and proven home made recipe, made from scratch. We hope you try it!
- Cream butter and sugar using a whisk or paddle in your mixer and start at slow speed. You can manually batter with a spoon but it is a longer process. For the mixer, gradually increase to a fast speed. Cream until light and fluffy.
- Crack eggs one at a time in a separate bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes. Add essence to eggs.
- Add all other liquids on slow speed.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and baking powder and mix with a spoon dispersing the ingredients evenly. Add this to the batter and beat on slow speed for 2 mins then high speed for 1 minute.
- Well grease the pan with butter (sides and base) and sprinkle flour over. Turn over and gently knock out excess flour.
- Prepare the oven by adjusting a shelf to the middle. Now preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. Tip: Test with toothpick at 40 mins by inserting in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If not continue to bake until finished after approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven (heat gloves on) and sit on the rack. Then shake the pan gently from side to side until the cake is loose. Turn onto a flat base and remove pan and let it cool in open air.