In Japanese culture, sushi plays an essential role in its cuisine and has been around for centuries. Sushi was originally made to preserve fish by wrapping it in rice soaked with vinegar to make the fish last longer without refrigeration. The rice was then discarded, and only the fish was consumed. It took a while, but in the 15th century, versions of the sushi we now love today were born. Sushi wasn't very popular or even in existence in America until the 60s. Still, it became a popular trend in the late 80s and 90s, with sushi bars opening up on every block.
Most of the population refers to "sushi" as a roll that consists of rice wrapped in Nori with a variety of fish and vegetables wrapped together and sliced into bite-sized pieces. The proper term is called Maki and translates to true in English. Typically, you could add almost any filling inside Maki. This Maki is for those who enjoy eating their veggies. In these Veggie Sushi Rolls or Veggie Maki, keeping the ingredients pure and straightforward to preserve Japanese tradition is essential. Cucumbers, lightly blanched carrots, and avocados are used in the filling. The key to any great sushi is rice. Under or overcooked rice or rice that was not rinsed enough or under-seasoned rice can make the best sushi the worst sushi. So, take your time and rinse the rice four times in a bowl of water using a strainer until the water runs completely clear. Then, choose the freshest ingredients to make your Maki shine.
Are vegan sushi rolls healthy?
Does vegetarian sushi taste fishy?
Is sushi healthier than pizza?
Can I eat sushi everyday?
- 4 sheets Nori, cut off 1/4 from the top of the sheet
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced into 8 small wedges
- 1 small Carrot, peeled and cut into 8 small sticks, blanched and cooled
- 1/2 small Cucumber, cut into 8 small sticks with the seeds removed
- 1 recipe Cooked Sushi Rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sambal *Optional
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise *Optional
- 1 Green Onion, sliced * Optional for Garnish
- 2 teaspoons Toasted Sesame Seeds * Optional for Garnish
Subscribe and get inspired with our creative and delicious recipes!