Aloe Vera is classified as a succulent plant due to its thick fleshy stems that are used to retain water to help the plant survive in inclement conditions. It is inside these leaves where you will find the gelatinous aloe vera gel full of nutritious benefits and can be used in a variety of ways. As a consumer product it is most commonly found in hair, beauty and skin care products but it is also popular as a drink. The health benefits from ingesting Aloe Vera include increased hydration, body detoxification, natural laxative, digestive aid, improved oral and dental health and it is full of vitamins and minerals. The flavor of Aloe Vera is slightly bitter but once it is harvested and prepared correctly, you will be able to enjoy its natural earthy flavor. This recipe will show you exactly how to harvest and prepare this juice so that you can enjoy the taste and receive the health benefits associated with this wonderful plant.
Tip: You can also purchase Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Juice online.
- Take a very sharp paring knife and sanitize it with hot boiling water and or Isopropyl Alcohol.
- Hold the leaf of aloe vera you want to harvest and cut it off by staying as close to the stem or center of the plant as possible.
- Keep the cut end of the leaf pointing down and allow it to drain for at least 15 minutes.
- Draining the yellowish fluid will help to remove the strong bitter taste from the plant.
- Now wash the plant thoroughly and remove any dirt or residue from the cutting.
- Prepare a clean cutting board and very sharp knife to remove the green outer layer of the leaf.
- Begin by cutting away the spiked folds on either side of the leaf so you can see the clear gel inside.
- Slice into the gel close to the edge of the leaf and slice it away from the gel on both sides.
- Discard all the green pieces of leaf, rince the piece of gel and examine it to make sure you removed all of the green.
- The green pieces of this leaf will make the drink taste very bitter and may cause stomach discomfort if ingested.
- Once the aloe vera gel has been thoroughly washed and all of the green leaf has been removed, place it onto a clean cutting board or into a clean blender.
- For chunks of aloe vera gel, cut it into bite sized pieces and add to the juice or water and mix.
- Alternatively, you can add the clean aloe vera gel to a blender with a little water or juice and blend the gel into the liquid.
- Serve chilled or over ice and enjoy.