Grapefruit is a subtropical citrus hybrid between the sweet orange and shaddock. The fruit is said to have been introduced to the Caribbean from Asia in the 17th century. The unexpected citrus crossbreed was said to have originated in Barbados gifting us with the distinct sweet sour taste we have come to know and love. Grapefruits are an excellent source of vitamin C and has been promoted as an aid for weight loss. This juice recipe is a great way to enjoy grapefruit as a refreshing drink.
- Using a saucepan, place the sugar, salt and water on a medium to high heat and stir until they are completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before pouring into a clean jar or bottle with a cover.
- Use as a sweetener for drinks.
- Cut the Grapefruits in half and use a citrus juicer or reamer to extract the juice by twisting and wringing the fruit.
- Place the extracted juice into a jug or pitcher adding the water and bitters then stirring to combine.
- Add some simple syrup to the juice to your taste preference.
- Serve chilled or with ice and enjoy.