Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a soft and buttery cake with sliced caramelized pineapple and maraschino cherries. Tip: For an enhanced pineapple flavor, substitute some of the whole milk with pineapple juice.
- Heat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Topping: Pour melted butter into an ungreased 9×2 inch round cake pan around 2 inches deep and sprinkle with brown sugar. Blot excess liquid off the fruits and arrange 6-7 pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar. Place the cherries in the center of the pineapple rings. Store the pan in the refrigerator while preparing the batter.
- Cake batter: Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and add salt.
- Beat butter and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes until creamy. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until fluffy and add to butter mixture. Mix in plain yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Fold in dry ingredients and turn onto low speed. Gradually pour in the milk and whisk until batter is just combined and free of lumps. The batter should be slightly thick.
- Remove pan with topping from the refrigerator and evenly pour in cake batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Half-time through the baking, loosely cover the cake with aluminum foil to prevent the surface from becoming too dark.
- When the inserted toothpick comes out clean remove cake from the oven and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Carefully flip the slightly cooled cake onto a serving plate and allow to cool down completely at room temperature before slicing and serving.